Where to find free images for your blog: MorgueFile
And no, we don’t mean Google Image Search.
http://morguefile.com is a site on the web that has hundreds of free images available for you to use at absolutely no cost whatsoever.
Why is it called MorgueFile?
A morgue file is a place to keep post production materials for use of reference, an inactive job file. This morgue file contains free high resolution digital stock photography for either corporate or public use.
The term “morgue file” is popular in the newspaper business to describe the file that holds past issues flats. Although the term has been used by illustrators, comic book artist, designers and teachers as well. The purpose of this site is to provide free image reference material for use in all creative pursuits. This is the world wide web’s morguefile.
MorgueFile’s license is extremely open with regards to what you can do with the photos without payment or even attribution:
You are free:
- Remix — to adapt the work.
- Commercial — to use this work for commercial purposes.
- Without Attribution — to use without attributing the original author.
Under the following conditions:
- Stand alone basis — You can not sell, license, sublicense, rent, transfer or distribute this image exactly as it is without alteration.
- Ownership — You may not claim ownership of this image in its original state.
- Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the contributor.
- Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author’s moral rights.
Which helps with bloggers often limited space issues on a post for credit, as well as aiding frequent bloggers with finding accent images to go with a blog post at no cost whatsoever – something that’s often fairly hard to do. While some of the photos can be a bit amateurish, some are surprisingly well done for a “free site”.
So if you’re running out of time to create your own accent graphics or are just looking for new accent images on your blog, try out http://morguefile.com – it’s free, and there’s no requirement to sign up to download.