Dedicated & Cloud VPS cPanel Optimized: Nginx Accelerated
A Small Orange is pleased to announced the availability of our Nginx Acceleration stack for cPanel/WHM based Dedicated and Cloud VPS servers. As a solution in development at A Small Orange for over a year and actively in use on our shared server fleet, the Nginx Acceleration stack allows customer systems to reach new levels of scale without additional hardware or resources.
The acceleration stack is powered by Nginx, an industry standard high performance web server which is setup to serve static content in a transparent reverse proxy. This reduces the request load on the cPanel Apache web server allowing it to handle only dynamic content requests. The setup is entirely transparent to cPanel, Apache and the underlying user subsystem, ensuring seamless integration with systems already in production.
The Nginx Acceleration stack is currently provided free of charge to existing customers and can be enabled upon request by our support team on your A Small Orange Dedicated or Cloud VPS cPanel server. In addition, Our Cloud VPS customers enjoy the convenience of a pre-configured template available on checkout or from within the Cloud Command portal labeled “CentOS 6.4 x64 cPanel Nginx (PHP5.4 MySQL5.5)”.
Although we recommend the use of our Nginx Acceleration Stack in its default configuration as we provide it, designed for optimal performance and a fully transparent implementation, we understand that this does not meet all of our customers needs. For those of our customers who require more granular control of the Nginx stack implementation, we provide a convenient command line tool. The CLI tool allows for Nginx to be quickly enabled or disabled system wide along with the ability to add and remove users from dynamic content caching and modify the dynamic content cache expiration interval. Further Nginx usage documentation can be found in our knowledge base.
Nginx Accelerated Features:
- cPanel, LAMP and LEMP stack compatible using transparent reverse proxy implementation
- Optimized gzip compression of all content reduces bandwidth usage and increases page load times
- Static content cache (images/media files) improves page load time and reduces request load on Apache
- Optional dynamic content page caching can be enabled on a per-user basis with configurable expiration time, reducing Apache & MySQL load
- Open file descriptor cache for high performance access to frequently used content
- High performance threading and cache structure allows for increased resilience to sudden traffic increases or HTTP based DDoS attacks
- Zero downtime configuration changes applied in real time for no service disruption, such as adding/removing users to nginx dynamic content cache